Brewing up more business for a listed mill
Redundant since the 1970s, this large listed mill development in the heart of Clitheroe, Lancashire has been brought back to life with a commercial purpose. Stanton Andrews has been involved throughout its commercial development.
Mill Development and Conversion
The multi-million pound third phase of this commercial mill development follows on from the successful bar and brewery business which opened in 2016.
Stanton Andrews Architects has been working on this project alongside Emporia Leisure, owners of Bowland Brewery and James’ Places. When complete, the scheme will include a hotel, food outlets, an Everyman four screen cinema and gym.
Stanton Andrews combined both an innovative approach to the project design and construction of this commercial property, whilst remaining respectful of the historical fabric of the building and its setting.
Stanton Andrews Architects is very pleased to have been involved in this project and brought the mill back into such vibrant use after its long history.
Historic England provides this text about the original mill
Holmes Mill was established in about 1823 when the first multi-storey spinning block and size house was built on the site by John Taylor. A second spinning block, known as New Mill, was erected in about 1830 by Edmund, John & James Mercer & David Murray, who purchased the original mill and incorporated the two spinning blocks into a single manufacturing complex.
In 1848 a four-storey office and warehouse extension was added to the east end of the c.1823 spinning block and size house. A weaving shed was added to the north of the New Mill in 1853, by which time the mill complex housed 16,000 mule spindles and 707 looms and was powered by at least two beam engines.
A gatehouse was added between 1847 and 1886. Clitheroe Manufacturing Company Limited took over production in 1884 and by 1887 577 looms, weaving printers and shirtings were in operation powered by a beam engine aided by a 24″ x 3′ stroke horizontal engine.
Shortly after Clitheroe Manufacturing Company’s takeover the original 1820s block was stripped of machinery and later used as Clitheroe Technical School up until 1916.
In 1905 New Mill and its associated buildings was sold to Henry Parkinson who furnished it with 496 looms and leased it to James Thornber. New boiler and engine houses were erected in 1910/11. At this time the beam engine was replaced with a Clayton, Goodfellow & Company cross-compound horizontal engine which remains in situ.
In 1939 the original 1820s block was reopened by Norman Roberts for yarn doubling. In recent years the 1905 boiler house has had its Lancashire boilers removed and the building converted into a warehouse, the 1853 weaving shed has been largely rebuilt, re-roofed and its north lights and early machinery removed, and the original 1820s block has gone out of use.